Japan's seemingly roofless tourism boom remains strong as the total number of inbound travellers grew by 8.7% in 2018 to reach a record high of 31.19 million, and they spent a total of US$41.3 billion. Hong Kong's fascination with Japan continues to grow as 2.2 million Hongkongers visited the country in 2018, making our city the fourth largest source of tourists. Visitor numbers to Hokkaido are soaring as well, as nature lovers are enticed by the region's beautiful scenery, world-class skiing and amazing farm and seafood produce. This trend has created business opportunities for tourism, retail and F&B related sectors.
To learn more about Hokkaido following the Chamber's seminar with on Hokkaido last year, the Chamber's Asia & Africa Committee will lead a business mission to the island from 3-7 June to meet local officials and businesses to get a first-hand perspective of how Hong Kong companies can tap into new opportunities in Hokkaido.
In addition to the prefecture's capital Sapporo, we will travel eastwards to relatively untapped tourism destinations, such as Furano, Akan, Sunagawa and Teshikaga. Land prices in these areas are still very affordable, and provide new, unspoilt destination options for developing new tourism facilities and packages. These regions are also renowned for their fresh local produce such as seasonal fruits, seafood, wine, leather and handicrafts that are popular among discerning visitors.
Places are limited so reserve your seat as soon as possible.
Monday, 3 June 2019 (Hong Kong / Sapporo)
- Check in to Hotel
Tuesday, 4 June 2019 (Sapporo / Tomamu / Kushiro)
- Meeting with Hokkaido Government
- Meeting with Hokkaido Company
- Networking Lunch
- Visit Unkai (Sea of Clouds) Terrace (in Tomamu)
- Meeting with Local Municipality and Welcome Reception
Wednesday, 5 June 2019 (Akan / Teshikaga)
- Site Visit with Hokkaido Company
- Lunch (Farm Inn Restaurant)
- Site Visit Ski Slope & Hotel Candidate/ Meeting with Local Municipality
- Site Visit Hotel Candidate (Masyu Lake)
- Site Visit (Kussharo Lake)
- Welcome Reception in Kussharo
Thursday, 6 June 2019 (Teshikaga / Ikeda / Furano)
- Visit at Fish Market & Breakfast
- Visit Winery in Ikeda & Lunch
- Site Visit Food Processing Factory and Meeting with Local Municipality
- Welcome Reception
Friday, 7 June 2019 (Ashibetsu / Sunagwa)
- Site Visit in Ashibetsu
- Visit Leather Goods Manufacturer in Sunagawa
- Lunch (Farm Inn restaurant)
- Return to New Chitose Airport
- End of Mission
The participation fee for the mission is HK$3,800, (please note that the price may need to be adjusted based on hotel fees at the time of booking), inclusive of 4-night's hotel accommodation on 3, 4, 5 and 6 June (including breakfast), local transport, interpreters, and other related administrative expenses, but excludes air tickets. Members should arrange their own air tickets and check into the mission hotel on Monday 3 June.
Please note that this is a business mission and all participants will be required to wear business attire and attend all planned meetings and receptions as part of the delegation.