The financial services sector is one of Hong Kong's key economic pillars, comprising almost 20% of the city's GDP. This high value-added industry also supports our status as Asia's leading financial centre, ranking third globally after London and New York.
Yet Hong Kong is facing a raft of internal and external challenges, from the U.S.-China trade war to recent social events. These factors are impacting Hong Kong's economy and competitiveness and ultimately, our future development.
Mr Laurence Li SC, Chairman of the Financial Services Development Council (FSDC), will meet with members at the Chamber's "Town Hall Forum Series" on 18 November. He will outline the opportunities and challenges ahead for Hong Kong and introduced the ongoing initiatives of the FSDC.
The FSDC was established in 2013 by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government as a high-level, cross-sectoral advisory body to engage the industry in formulating proposals to promote the further development of the financial services industry of Hong Kong and to map out the strategic direction for the development.
Speakers' presentations at this event are intended for educational purposes only and do not replace independent professional judgment. Statements of fact and opinions expressed during this event are those of the speakers and participants and, unless expressly stated to the contrary, are not the opinion or position of the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce, its members, or its committees. The Chamber does not endorse or approve, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, accuracy or completeness of the information presented. Attendees should note that, with the approval of speakers, this event may be recorded, and possibly published on the Chamber's website in audio and/or video formats without further notice.
Recording, duplication or distribution of the contents of the online event is prohibited without prior written permission from the Chamber.
||Mr Laurence Li, SC is the Chairman of the Financial Services Development Council (FSDC). The FSDC is an advisory body to the HKSAR Government on all matters relating to the development of Hong Kong as an international financial centre. It engages the industry in formulating proposals to promote the further development of the financial services industry of Hong Kong and to map out the strategic direction for the development.
Mr Li's profession is as a practicing barrister. He focuses on banking, commercial, company, and securities law. Prior to being called to the Hong Kong Bar, he served in several positions within the Securities and Futures Commission in Hong Kong and, before that, worked in a law firm in New York.
Mr Li is a Judge of the International Court and Regulatory Tribunal in Doha, Qatar. He is also a Fellow of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, an Honorary Fellow of the Asian Institute of International Financial Law at The University of Hong Kong, and a Senior Fellow at the Centre for Financial Regulation and Economic Development at The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
|Date and Time
||2019/11/18 16:30 to 18:00
||Chamber Theatre, 22/F United Centre
||Closed to media
||Members @ HK$170
+$50 for booking offline
This event accepts Chamber Coupon (terms and conditions)
Members enjoy 30% discount with BOC HKGCC VISA Card
||- Bookings are only confirmed upon receipt of payment, on a first come first served basis.
- Booking transfer is allowed for corporate members with advanced notice, walk-ins are normally not accepted.
- The Chamber reserves the right to decline any booking or cancel the event. In such case, a full refund of the participation fee will be issued.
- No refund will be made for last minute cancellations or no-shows. If the booking is cancelled at least 3 working days before the event, and in such cases the refund will be subjected to a 10% administration fee, or HK$100 deduction, whichever is higher.
- Members paying with their BOC HKGCC Visa Card will enjoy a 30% discount on their reservation. The discount is only applicable to the card holder, and does not extend to their guests. The discount cannot be used in conjunction with Chamber Coupons.
- A $50 handling fee per person will be charged for all offline bookings (e.g. fax, e-mail, post) for all Chamber events. Go online today by downloading our app or registering on the HKGCC website to save the environment and money.
- Priority is given to corporate members. The decision to accept or decline any booking shall be at sole discretion of the Chamber.