The growing tensions in labour relations against the current economic background have led companies to make decisions such as staff termination, early retirement, and re-hiring of retired employees. It is essential that companies deal with these matters effectively in accordance with the laws in Hong Kong. This workshop provides useful and practical advices on this important topic.
1. Handling Staff Resignation: Notification and confirmation; notice periods, shortening or extending notice period; managing leave balance; handling sudden departures.
2. Termination of Employment by Prior Notice or Payment in Lieu of Notice: When should this be applied; calculation of payment-in-lieu; statutory protection for employees during sickness, injury or pregnancy.
3. Calculation of Terminal Payments: Payment-in-lieu, leave pay, end of year payment, severance payment, long service payment; Offsetting against accrued MPF, and the impending cancellation of this offsetting.
4. Summary Dismissal: The lawful grounds for summary dismissal; procedures and prevention of risks that might arise.
5. Redundancy: Implementing redundancy exercise fairly and lawfully; statutory protection for employees during sickness, injury or pregnancy; re-employment of laid-off staffs; and calculation of years of service.
6. Retirement and Re-employment: Supporting employees to a smooth retirement; calculating retirement benefits，re-employment of retirees，calculation of service period.