Legal and risk compliance - particularly the effective management of Anti-Bribery and Corruption (AB&C) risks – is an important task for multinational companies looking to do business in China and capitalize on the country's market opportunities. In an increasingly globalized world, companies operating on the Mainland should be sensitive to the fact that other than complying with domestic laws, there is also the need to take into account of other international standards such as the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and United King Bribery Act (UKBA). Failure to do so could have severe implications as exemplified by recent high profile enforcement actions against well-known corporations under FCPA.
At this seminar, Mr Yang Hong Zhi, International Legal Director at Masson de Morfontaine, will provide an overview of the developments with the enforcement of anti-bribery and corruption measures and provide tips on how businesses can maintain their ethical standards in China. Key topics covered will include:
• Introduction of key Anti-Bribery and Corruption (AB&C) risks, the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act
• Best practices for AB&C compliance programs
• Lessons learned from recent cases: Walmart and Panasonic
• Managing AB&C compliance risks with Associated Persons (e.g. joint ventures)
• Trends in Anti-Bribery and Corruption enforcement
• Recent developments of Anti-Bribery legislation in China